Thursday, August 12, 2010
   I hear many new banders talking about how they are afraid of getting stuck and what does throwing up feel like when you are banded.
   First off, getting stuck is not as bad as it may sound. Yes it is a bit painful but usually it doesn't last that long. And if it does, well then you should be calling your doctor. I know this might sound a little harsh but it's my belief that everyone should experience the 'stuck' feeling once in their banded life so they know how to deal with it. After that it won't freak you out so much and it's a learning experience. It will teach you to chew better.
  As for throwing up. It's not like your regular full stomach hurling.  It's called 'Sliming'.  It's just saliva and the stuck food coming back up from your pouch. It's not the contents of your stomach like it was without the band. The contents of your stomach can not come back up through your pouch.
    What is PBing?
The PB (or productive burp) is caused by several things. 1. Not chewing properly 2. untolerated foods (ie fresh doughy bread) or 3. too big of a chunk or bite. When the food slides down the esophagas it goes into the pouch where it "sticks" in the stoma of the band not allowing anything to pass. The esophagus and stomach then naturally produce a secretion ("slime") to help it pass through. The slime then accumulates and either pushes the lodged object out or you will "throw up" the slime. One way or another, it is going to be free. The pain and pressure you feel is the top pouch portion of the stomach trying to naturally contract and release (as if it didn't have a band) to free the lodged item. This is why sometimes people get hiccups because they are working (forcing air back and forth) to get the piece free. The dizziness that some people feel is from the panic we put ourselves in and do not regulate our breathing very well and really has nothing to do with the band itself.



The "PB" is bad to our band because of the stress the body places on the band when trying to "free" items. The esophagus is also working hard and can become swelled and irritated. Therefore, if you have a complaint of constant PB then are you giving your lower throat time to heal with the 24-48 hours of LIQUID only? Or are you trying to eat again in a few hours just because you feel you can. (i.e. "testing the band")
  Anyway if you do experience these issues my suggestion is to try hard and relax because when you tense your body up (which is normal when you have pain) your chest tends to tighten and will not allow the food to flow. Try closing your eyes, counting to 10 and see if the food passes. If that doesn't work, then try walking around a bit.
   In point, remember to chew chew chew. And don't let things around you distract you. When I eat I find that I can not have anyone talking to me, nor can I watch TV. Everyone knows that eating time, is my time and I must be left alone.  Most instances of PBing and sliming are because of not chewing your food well enough. You also want to make sure that your food is moist enough and not to dry.

0 comments:

Living the Lapband Life

My photo
Tuckerton, NJ, United States
This is me 4 months after surgery.These are my experiences to help others along the way. Please understand that everyone is different and this can only be used as an example to help you. I appologize for graphic details that might offend anyone. I believe in giving you as much information as possible. Check back for updates because I have only started with my information. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. I'll do my best to answer them.

Blog Archive

Friends

This is my heaviest weight

This is my heaviest weight
This was probably even heavier than 304lbs.

My first Fill

My first Fill
This is 6 weeks after surgery. 29lbs lighter

2 Months after surgery

2 Months after surgery
39lbs lighter since surgery

4 Months after Surgery

4 Months after Surgery
57lbs lighter since surgery. 67lbs all together since highest weight.

5 Months after surgery

5 Months after surgery
Size Sweet 16 (72lbs lighter)

7 Months after surgery

7 Months after surgery
93lbs lost Size 14 for summer

ONEDERLAND!! 9 Months after surgery.

ONEDERLAND!! 9 Months after surgery.
104lbs lost. 13lbs until goal.